The organization of Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church was first made possible when the Wichita Methodist City Union recognized the need for a Methodist Church in the southeast area of Wichita. Mrs. Grace B. Hall, City Parish Visitor, contacted Methodist families in the area who were interested in establishing a new church.
On May 10, 1952 an official organizational meeting was held under the direction of Dr. Robert A. Hunt, District Superintendent. The name "Mount Vernon Methodist" was adopted for the church. (In 1968, when the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church, the name of the congregation changed to Mount Vernon United Methodist Church).
On May 3, 1953 Dr. O. F. Volkland, District Superintendent, officiated at ground breaking services for the first unit of the building. The basement was completed in September of 1953, and all meetings were held there until the sanctuary was completed the following summer.
On July 18, 1954 the pastor, Rev. Milo Paulin, conducted the first service in the new sanctuary, which is now called the chapel. Additional land was purchased at the same location, and on July 17, 1958 ground was broken for the present education building, which was completed five months later.
On March 21, 1965 ground breaking ceremonies were held again, and consecration services for the beautiful new sanctuary were held on November 7, 1965 with Bishop W. McFerrin Stowe and District Superintendent Dr. Paul Matthaei officiating, along with the pastor, Rev. Walter R. Grist.
Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary on Sunday, May 19, 2002. "The progress to date is history, but only a gateway to the future."